10 Gouldings Avenue
Walton on the Naze
CO14 8QL

T: 07840 590222
E: tendringdesign@gmail.com
W: tendringdesign.co.uk
  • Measured Site and Building Surveys
  • Feasibility Studies
  • Scheme Design Proposals
  • AutoCad Designed Plans
  • Planning Drawings and Applications
  • Specification Writing and Construction Drawings
  • Design submissions for Building Regulations Approval
  • Liaison with the Planning Authority and Building Control Body
  • Construction Cost Consultancy

New Build Guide

Planning permission for a plot of land can dramatically improve it's value. To give you an example the average value of an acre of agricultural land is around £3000. That same acre with granted Planning permission for residential development could be worth £2M. Therefore Planning permission does not come easy. However the effort involved opens up the very real possibility of making you money or being able to build the house of your dreams.

Much of the design considerations for a new build residential development also apply to extensions as already discussed previously.

Please note: The points listed below are not exhaustive and are only intended to give you an idea of what may be possible when considering a new build residential development. Please feel free to contact us to discuss the feasibility of your ideas before proceeding further.

Greenfield sites

Planning permission will not even be considered for a Greenfield site unless it has been specifically allocated for development through the local plan or identified within the relevant local development framework for the site. This you should take into account when considering purchasing a plot of virgin agricultural land for the purpose of future development.

Garden developments

Up until fairly recently private gardens were deemed to be brownfield sites or previously developed land. Planning permission for new residential developments were much easier. However the Government was concerned about "garden grabbing" so has since reversed this rule and designated private gardens as Greenfield sites.

Planning policies

You will need to check where the geographic development boundaries are in the area you are considering. The area beyond development boundaries are referred to as open countryside where very restrictive rules apply. Your proposed development has to fit in with the "character" and "appearance" of the area and "not cause harm to the amenities of the area". A visit to the Local Council Planning department is a very worthwhile exercise in determining from the outset what land is available for development. However do bear in mind that not all areas of countryside are designated "green belt". This is a designation given only to certain land clearly defined around some towns and cities.

Site specific issues

A good example are trees subject to a "Tree Preservation Order" (TPO). Another is land subject to flood risk or sites having substandard access.

Local Politics

Opinions of the locals are very important which if negative may result in the Planning application being referred to a Planning committee. Hostility to an application at a committee could force a Local Councillor to delay or recommend a refusal even if it is acceptable in Planning terms. It is prudent to make the effort to win over local opinion.

Section 106 agreements

A Planning application for a new build residential development will entail you making a financial contribution to the Local Authority. The intention behind this is to pay for the enhanced local infrastructure needed to accommodate new residents such as upgraded road access, play areas for local children etc. The amount payable depends on the area and amount of homes you intend to build. You will need to check with the Local Authority their charges for this. If in the event your application is refused this money will be refunded to you.